Get help with testing, discuss unit testing strategies etc.

Post by vanessa »

Hi,
I wonder if there is any way to run each unit test case on each html or jsp file? The DOM visible panel in the main UI occupies only 1/3 of the browser window. I would be nice if each unit test case can be run separately on an html/jsp file so that the DOM can be displayed on the entire browser window.

Thanks in advance,
Vanessa

Post by nickolay »

Hi Vanessa,

Could you please elaborate. I see 2 feature requests from you
1) way to run each unit test case on each html or jsp file? (not sure what does this mean)
2) Display the DOM in separate window, so it occupies full window. - This feature is in roadmap and partly implemented, but requires some testing and polishing before release. You can expect it in 1.2.0..

Nickolay

Post by vanessa »

Nickolay: 1) way to run each unit test case on each html or jsp file? (not sure what does this mean)
Vanessa: As part of TDD habit, I found it more convenient to be able to have URL for each test case. For example, when developing a custom XXXcomponent, I write a test case call TestXXXComponentWithReadOnlyMode.js. It would be nice if I can just have a url relative to the main url that list all the test cases in tree grid structure, for example, https://localhost:8080/myApp/test/TestXX ... lyMode.jsp. This way, I don't have to look at the main URL: https://localhost:8080/myApp/test/test.html (which has all test cases in tree grid structure) all the time, I can simply look at a specific test case's URL and refresh the browser every time I want to test my component or see how it looks. It is faster this way for UI developers since we all have to refresh browser quite many times a day. The main URL should only be used occasionally to run all the test cases or a group of test cases at once.

Nickolay: 2) Display the DOM in separate window, so it occupies full window. - This feature is in roadmap and partly implemented, but requires some testing and polishing before release. You can expect it in 1.2.0..
Vanessa: That sounds great. Being able to see the DOM in a full size window makes the DOM looks closer to how the real UI looks. Thanks.

Post by nickolay »

about 1) I see your point. Instead of refreshing browser, you can click "Re-run test" button - it will launch the last selected test. We also planning to improve the filtering feature and make filter value persistent across page refresh (as other options). So this should be very close your workflow - you open main page, type filter text for the test you are interested in, and click "re-run" after modifications (or refresh the page). These changes will be added in next release (in a week or so).

Post by vanessa »

About #2, I found that we have "forceDOMVisible" configuration option. If it is set to true, we display the tested UI in a bigger overlay in the middle of the page. This is a pretty cool. It would be nice if we have an option to occupy full window. As you said, it will be for future release.