Our powerful JS Calendar component

Post by nick »

Thanks for the clarification Don,

I think there are a few problems in this implementation that would be difficult for us.
On review, i think the approach with Start Gutter may be the better fit for our needs?

Here are some of the pain points with nesting Children in our case:

• The vertical "parent" event in many cases will not have children at certain points in time

• In our use case, this "parent" represents a shift allocation, telling the clinician where to be

• It is important that this is always a fixed width as the white space beside it indicates free time, where new bookings and appointments can be taken,

• If a parent with no children were to grow to full width, it would be harder to understand free time

• The calculation of "children" would be difficult for us, we do not link "shift allocations" directly with Events "bookings/appointments" (the events/bookings/appointments are linked to a Clinic/location), where as the "shift" is linked to the Resource (the user/clinician)

• The shifts can be allocated/reallocated and are fairly dynamic, so recalculating and updating the IDs/children when shifts are reallocated to different resources is possible, but not ideal, we also have "events/bookings/appointments" that occur outside of "Shift allocations" e.g. early in the morning or late at night

Our thought process was that if Start Gutter let us reserve that space at the beginning of a column, we could add our allocations in first, at a fixed width, and then all events would just stack in that space in between start and end gutter neatly ?

Thanks for the help, would be great to get your thoughts on this.

Post by dongryphon »

Makes sense and thanks for the details. I will post a POC on the gutter / timeranges approach as soon as I have one.