UberGrid

Questions related to our Sencha Touch based grid component
bentoo42

UberGrid

Post by bentoo42 »

We have a data driven application built using Ext Js 4.1.3. We are currently using the Sencha Grid and the following features:

Paging*
Column hiding
Column resizing
Column reordering
Column adding (using available fields)
Sorting*
RowExpander / Disclosure*
Row selection - apply status change
grouping summary row
summary row
summarize by
grouped column headers*

*must have

We want to build a touch optimized version of the application using Sencha 2.1+.

I think that we may be able to purchase the UberGrid to provide some or all of the functionality of the Sencha Grid for mobile devices.

Do you have any recommendations on how or whether these features can be implemented using the UberGrid?

mats
Core Developer
Core Developer

Re: UberGrid

Post by mats »

That's a long list of features :).

Paging*
Should be reasonably easy to solve, we'll investigate.

Column hiding
Supported: http://bryntum.com/docs/ubergrid/#!/api ... ethod-hide

Column resizing
Supported: http://bryntum.com/docs/ubergrid/#!/api ... d-setWidth

Column reordering
Not yet supported but should be quite easy to solve.

Column adding (using available fields)
Not yet supported but should be quite easy to solve.

Sorting*
Supported

RowExpander / Disclosure*
Not supported. Do you have a few screenshots showing how you'd like this to look/behave?

Row selection - apply status change
Not yet supported, selection model is on the roadmap.

grouping summary row
Not yet supported

summary row
Not yet supported

summarize by
Not yet supported

grouped column headers*
Supported
Tired of debugging javascript errors in web applications? Try our new error logging service RootCause, or read more on the Sencha blog

@bryntum
Facebook
API documentation

bentoo42

Post by bentoo42 »

Thanks for you quick response.

I think that the UberGrid solves a problem that many developers face:

How can you show a large amount of data in a touch optimized application? (Sencha Touch doesn't have a robust grid component.)

I scoured the internet for a robust touch optimized grid component for Sencha Touch last summer and could not find one. Then, I serendipitously came across your component about a month ago while watching a video on Sencha's website.

Have you considered putting the UberGrid on market.sencha.com? I just saw a component that does some of the things that I am talking about: https://market.sencha.com/extensions/touchtreegrid

I agree that the feature list is long. Not all of the features are must-have.

Thanks for sending the links to your documentation for column hiding and resizing. However, it would be great if the UberGrid handled this interaction from a UI perspective.

Example:

User taps onto the column header. Then, a menu appears where a user can click a hide icon, a resize icon, or an add icon (similar to the gmail app). If the user clicks hide, the column would hide. If the user clicks add, a list of possible columns appears in a select list. If the user clicks resize, they can pinch or spread their fingers to resize the column.

I would really like to use the UberGrid. If I cannot use the UberGrid, I will probably fall back to the Sencha Touch List. http://docs.sencha.com/touch/2-1/#!/api ... aview.List

For RowExpander/Disclosure, I think that the UberGrid should work the same way that the Sencha Touch link works:

Example: http://cdn.sencha.io/touch/sencha-touch ... #demo/list (disclosure)

The UberGrid should fire a disclosure event when the right side of a row is tapped. We can then listen to that event and perform some action (i.e. push a view onto the NavigationView).

For paging, it would be great if the UberGrid mimic the Sencha Touch List. At the bottom of the grid, you could have a More button. Alternatively, you could support Back | Next buttons for paging which may be even slicker.

For pull to refresh, the UberGrid could mimic the Sencha Touch list. At the top of the grid, you can have a pull to refresh component which fires a refresh event.

When do you think that Row Selection will be available? That is pretty close to a must have for us.

It would be great if the UberGrid supported a checkbox column so that you can multi select rows and apply an action.

bentoo42

Post by bentoo42 »

I think that the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box should be checked by default when you post to the forums.

mats
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by mats »

I think that setting is on by default, didn't you get notification emails?
Tired of debugging javascript errors in web applications? Try our new error logging service RootCause, or read more on the Sencha blog

@bryntum
Facebook
API documentation

bentoo42

Post by bentoo42 »

No. I didn't get email notifications for replies until I manually checked the box.

mats
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by mats »

Email notification fixed, thanks for the heads up.

About the features:

Row selection should be pretty minor, will try to get that done shortly.
Same goes for header menu, should also be easy.
Checkbox column should be doable too.

And I guess a special DisclosureColumn is what you'd need too?

@bryntum
Facebook
API documentation

bentoo42

Post by bentoo42 »

Ok, cool.

I would love to beta test those features for you once they are available.

The UberGrid could be a very critical/prevalent component in our app.

In June, we will start working on it in earnest. Right now, we are doing some proof of concepts.

mats
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by mats »

Added a new Header menu that's shown on tap (configurable). See the screenshot, does that look ok?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 4.10.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 4.10.19 PM.png (186.16 KiB) Viewed 8331 times

@bryntum
Facebook
API documentation

mats
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by mats »

If you have a license, you can pull our nightlies every day. That'd be the easiest way to get in on the latest / greatest :)

@bryntum
Facebook
API documentation