Get help with testing, discuss unit testing strategies etc.

Post by jminutella »

I'm trying to integrate Siesta into our ASP.NET/ExtJS web application. At the moment, all I really care about is running tests in the browser - obviously similar to the ExtJS examples. However, I'm getting plenty of nodejs errors when trying to build the project.

1. Is NodeJS absolutely required to use Siesta? Can I use Siesta without it. We don't have NodeJS in our project so I'd prefer not to use it.

2. What are the bare minimum files to run web browser tests? I unpacked the Siesta-standard archive and just copied the contents to our project. Can I remove node_modules and other unnecessary files?

Thanks!

Post by nickolay »

If you only want to launch the tests manually, all you need from the Siesta archive - "siesta-all.js" and "resources" folder.

If you'll want to launch the tests from command line, you'll need the launchers, from the "bin" folder (bin/webdriver, bin/puppeteer). This will already require all archive content. Siesta uses Node.js that is bundled in the archive.

Can you provide more information?

Post by jminutella »

Hi Nickolay, thanks for the response!

I was having a hard time on Wednesday trying to get Siesta to render the page correctly so I was curious if we needed the bin, node_modules...folders because I didn't originally include them in our visual studio project and whenever I tried to launch Siesta, I'd get some blue page with the logo that clearly didn't load correctly.

It turns out I was just having some caching issues. I'm now able to fully run Siesta with just the resources folder and siesta-all.js file - for basic browser testing for now.

Thanks again!

Post by nickolay »

Sure, yw